Sunday, June 3, 2012

kayak fishing during a full moon.

Last night was great! I got on the lake later than I wanted, but had to get the chores done first. The wind calmed down just a bit after sundown, it was just right for some drift fishing. I set out two poles with santee cooper rigs and cut shad. I began to drift on a point at 7 to 8 foot deep, I drifted  for about 200 yards and nothing. I paddled back and started at 12 to 15 foot deep. I did not get 30 yards before the pole got slammed, and he put up a good fight. I got the cat in the yak and it was around 17 inches. I made a few more drifts from 12 to 25 foot deep and only got a couple strikes, so I figured it was time to move. The wind was starting to pick up a little but not to bad, I was trying to make up my mind where to go. I was not for sure how much the wind would pick up and the weather service is only half right most of the time LOL! I decided to hope for the best and hope it would not be a bugger bear fighting the wind back. Once I got to spot I really wanted to be at, I pulled out a cold Coke and a couple cookies out of the cooler. While enjoying my snack in the bright full moon, I could see the fish chasing bait here and there. I started my drift again using the drift sock this time at around 15 foot deep. After a 100 yards I decided that the cut bait just might not producing tonight so I changed over to some fat Grub worms I dug up before I got on the water. Using the grubs work great, but a small bluegill can rip those grubs off quick. You have to re bait after and little strike, so take lots of them if you plan on using them. Once the grubs were on the action was great and fast. I brought home 9 nice cats the smallest at 15 and the biggest at 19.5 inches. All of them were very healthy and had lots of spunk, only one that I caught had a belly full of eggs so she was released after a picture for the Kayak Wars tournament. After a couple hours of catching fish I figured it was time to head back to the boat ramp and the wind was getting a little more gusty than I really wanted to fight. I was not dragging them fish back so a paddled to the nearest shore and loaded them up behind my crate. The paddle back was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was a great night catching fish with grubs in the moon light.

No comments:

Post a Comment