Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Kayaking with friends

The weather and water is warming up and even tho I fish year round, I still get excited every spring. For me its when the White Bass and Crappie start to run up the creeks and rivers from the main lake to spawn. The White Bass are great fighters and really fun on ultra light gear. Lake Arlington is ten foot low, it has been a dry winter. For a couple weeks after work I would walk down to the creek and wet the hook for a few. One evening I caught a good mess of Crappie, I called up my buddy Brian with the news that it has begun. We got together the very next weekend, we tried for the Crappie with no luck for hours. Brian's kitchen pass was only good for a few hours and he was running out of time. I told him my honey hole should be in the shade by now, so we gave it a shot.
That's a smile!
The honey hole paid off at the last minute, we caught over 20 fish together in 30 minutes time. I think Brian was thinking I was nuts saying the fish hiding in a small tree in 2 foot of water, but after back to back catching he had a blast.
A stringer full of Crappie to break in his new Jackson Cuda 12, great way to end the day. Brian has some relatives coming in and he wanted to have a fish fry for them, so he was happy to bring fish home for the freezer.
A week later I was trying for Crappie after work again and caught a White Bass, I was excited and let a couple buddies know. We got together for a quick trip up the creek, Brian, CudaDude, Dalton, and CudaDude brought a friend.



We all caught fish and had fun shooting the bull and goofing off. A cold front came in and I hope the White Bass have not started the spawn yet. Mostly all males was caught , so I don't think they are done. The weather just teased the fish, but that's Texas and mother nature for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment